Im surprised that no one has mentioned the new Vestax PDX2000 - it solves
the problem of wanting to have a greater pitch range and still having fine
adjustment by having 2 pitch faders...

http://www.vestax.co.uk/flash/pdx2000.htm

specs:
• +/- 10% fine pitch control fader
• +/- 50% ultra pitch control fader allows you quickly change pitch (fastest
ever on a turntable) • Adjustable Start & brake speed control (slow
start/quick start, slow brake/quick brake)
• Reverse button changs direction of record spin. • High condensed moulded
body designed for best acoustic sound as well as high endurance against
feedback.
• Newly designed DC motor creates 2.0 Kg/cm of rotation torque and super
fast start and brake (within 1/6 rpm).
• Straight Tonearm System makes skipping almost impossible.
• Comes with Vestax headshell and slipmat.

I havn't played with one, but it seems like the best solution. (heaven
forbid we get into a technics 1200 vs xxxx debate though).

.joseph