So ...I was at a small gathering last night of
industry people that came to hear about Black Music:
Past , Present & Future with Jimmy Starks & Hal
Jackson speaking.
Of course I would go!!!
 who would not want to hear these two HISTORICAL men
speak about this music & their amazing lives.

Some of the things you are talking about were covered
during Q&A at the end.
 Something I have always wondered, is why Does detroit
techno ( a black music) always get over looked as
such.
 Or maybe I am over looking things, but I dont think I
see Vibe writing about the music or the aritist and
their accomplishments... what about BET, or the black
music departments in  record labels, the black radio
stations etc...

I am kind of talking all over the place but, Jimmy
also talked about sampling and how he hates that you
can hear him more now than we he made records with
James brown etc.. and he gets nothing for it, and
people probably have no idea it is his guitar they
sampled.
He  also feels very strong about live music, and
everyone was talking about how live instruments are
coming back.
And the electronic music will die out soon.
A&R development people were talking about how they are
soon to have certain R&B/Hip-hop acts go on the road
with live bands instead of a DJ etc... R&B produces
are talking about working with live musicians from now
on and creating more jobs in the community as well as
building albums not hit cookie cutter singles.

I do beleive there is a strong future for electronic
music, I mean think about when you have kids, they
will grow up with this music always listening to
electronic music. Just think what the music they make
will sound like!! When my generation grew up & before
we had many influences, but there was know blueprint
for detroit techno, the black music of the past
present & future.

again talking all over the place.sorry, bare with me..

Hal, talked of how he hates this eminem character
getting all of these awards ... it really seemed to
bother him because it is a black music, well DR> Dre
does make his tracks right,I completely understand
where he is coming from and have even heard the same
comments about techno & how this scene is mostly
white, and the white artist get all of the press,
credit,deals etc.....

I dont know where I am going with this , just thought
I would share my night with ya'll.. I have lots more
to say but will shut up as I know someone on here is
going to rip me to shreds as always.(not that I care)

best,
nancy

=====
***saRu maNe***tm