Otto Koppius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Assuming that the majority of people were there to simply party (nothing
>wrong with that btw) and because Derrick's set was one for the partiers
>with a sense of musical history and broader musical interests, it fell
>flat on the ears of the prototypical white 18-year-old who has never
>heard of James Brown and couldn't care less. Richies set was more
>straightforward dance music and that's what they came there for, so they
>partied. Simple as that. Essentially it is the age-old debate of should
>the DJ give the audience what they want, or should the audience want
>what the DJ gives? (so let's not rehash that one)

...something for your mind and your body...

I think it's rather pretentious to say that Derrick's set was for partiers "with a sense of musical history and broader musical interests". So without this sense of history and a broad musical interest, one would experience a lesser enjoyment of the set? That's absurd. His set was, pardon the unacademic term, totally bumpin'! Granted, he may have made allusions to musical history with his style and selections, but above all he threw down and that's what I think most people enjoyed. I would venture to say that the visceral ranked far above the cerebral.

I saw Derrick in a small club in San Francisco in August with an, at least, 90% white audience and that little room was a sweat box and everyone danced hard. I doubt everyone was "high-fidelty"-style well-versed in musical history, yet I didn't see anyone not enjoying themselves.

When I saw Richie on 10/28 at St. Andrew's and he played Front 242's "headhunter", all of us old people freaked out and danced even harder -- I saw a lot of slightly perplexed 18 year old faces around me, but they didn't stop having fun. I caught the reference and that was awesome, but it wasn't necessary for me to enjoy myself that night and neither was it that way for them.

Interesting points made all around, I just hate seeing things needlessly over-academicized.

peace,
dk

David Knapik - Web Developer
Northwestern University School of Law - MC B71
(312) 503-2771 | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]