I have sleep apnea. In addition to sleeping with a machine (no - this is not a veiled reference to my wife :-), I use a room humidifier. When I'm away from home, I REALLY miss it. Sometimes hotel blowers come close, so it usually works out a preferable thing for me to stay in a hotel rather than with someone. I think I would notice the looping as well. Fans can be good if they're loud enough.
                                                jeff

On the subject of noise -- I have a brother who always slept with a vaporizer
going when he was young, due to respiratory problems.  This has left him
unable to sleep without a white noise source.   He tried to use one of those
little noise generator boxes people use for this purpose, but he started
hearing the loop in the noise and it kept him awake!