From: Dan Sicko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mike Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [313] educating the kiddies
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:11:16 -0500

'Funky' really seems to be the most overloaded word in electronic music. I was cringing when I read the start of this thread. Techno is 'funky'? Well it sure isn't funky the way The Meters, James Brown, Prince or Red Hot Chili Peppers
are funky. Most techno doesn't even have a funk-derived bass line.

I hear you ... the only worse adjective is "jazzy."

However, I always point to those crazy Derrick May DX-100 sequences
as being funky. Something about his programming and the quality of
the sounds themselves sound as funky as any traditional bass line.
But that's just me. And that's certainly *not*  most techno records.
:)

-d