I'll disagree with Mike Brown -- but just a little.  There are
some techno records that are supremely funky, but just a few.

That amazing UR remix of Expo 2000 is one great example.  A lot
of Octave One certainly is, especially from their two
magnificent double-packs, "Images from Above" and "Living Key."

Various releases by Jeff Mills (there, i said it), John Tejada,
Gary Martin, AO, Steve Stoll, occasionally Ian Pooley, and quite
a bit of the Black Nation releases certainly qualify.

I am old-fashioned and gravitate in this direction and snarf up
whatever sounds good in this regard because I grew up on a steady
and preferred diet of James Brown, Stax, the Meters and the other
great pioneers of funk.  And being from DC, of course, a city
that was always "on the one", we had go go, which is finally
getting some recognition as Chuck Brown turns into our leading
senior citizen of funk.

I live in Portland, which is not really a very funky place.  And
San Francisco, where I hang out a lot, had the funk for a brief
period in 1992-94 before it drifted away.  When it's out there,
you go for it.  The fact that there is still a pretty strong
leaning toward funk in Detroit techno and house is one of the
things that has kept me a close follower all these years.

But I will admit, having looked through a *lot* of record bins in
my time, as you all have, that it's pretty thin picking in the
techno section overall.

So like I said,