I think when "uk tech house" is most appropriate is when it's as you feared,
though there are odd exceptions. Aubrey and his Portsmouth gang spring to
mind, but that's where "uk tech house" seems less fitting. Unfortunately
most London record shops are as bland too, right now. Exceptions are, IMO,
Smallfish and Vinyl Junkies, neither of which exactly hit the mark, meaning
you can spend a long time travelling when record shopping, and Detroit seems
to fall between the two stools unfortunately.

Layo & Bushwacka are excellent examples of how limp tech house can be. They
do veer into some strange "breaks" territory, I think. One of the worst
nights out of my life was at the End when Layo was DJing, when someone or
other didn't turn up. I think he is in someway involved with managing the
club, and I had never heard of either of them outside of their flyers until
recently. Make of that what you will. Unfortunately, it does seem to be the
main techno alternative to "looped bangers".

I have a theory on London nightlife. It's sort of a concentrate of what
you'd expect from reading UK press: hyper-fragmented - you get
dull-tech-house nights, you get micro-house nights, you get body&soul
nights, you get looped-bangers nights, you get detroit-techno nights... You
don't often get plain old good nights out (in fact I've had maybe less than
10 in 5 years). It's partly to do with that over categorisation for which we
are infamous here, partly to do with 2/3 hour sets being the norm and is
then reinforced by the quite subtle exclusiveness that creeps into *all*
"scenes" here. It's very hard to get away from: if you break the mold then
someone'll just name it and tame it within months anyway. Though it's just
dumb: I can understand a producer releasing records that all sound the same,
but a DJ playing a set of them?