A couple of years ago Derrick May took a turn at The Wire's "Invisible
Jukebox." He listened & tried to identify tracks by Herbie Hancock, Olly
Wilson, First Choice, Dade Krama, UR, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Ice Cube, A
Guy Called Gerald ("one of the unsung heroes of future music"), The
Williams Fairey Brass Band (Acid Brass version of "Strings...")

Last track up was Funkadelic's "(Not Just) Knee Deep," from Uncle Jam
Wants You (Warners). Here's a transcription of what followed:

DM: Hell, yeah! [Starts singing along] You can go to Detroit now and this
stuff is still on rotation on the radio. This is a big part of my youth.

M. Shallcross: So is this your favourite track from today's selection?

DM: Yeah, everything else is kind of okey-doke. I wouldn't mind playing
this at a party now, just to see what happens. I've heard Rob Hood play
this, but I don't think he played enough of it.

MS: Your famous and somewhat over-repeated equation for Techno was
'Kraftwerk and George Clinton meeting in an elevator'. Does Techno
sometimes forget its funk roots?

DM: Yes, I think so. It was never meant to be just about technology. It
was the sound of man and machine making love. I would love to see
Kraftwerk and George Clinton on the same stage, playing one after another.
That would be cool. I'm still looking out for something like this today.

Wes