> It is entirely up to the editor, who is
> influenced by the publisher and their
> concerns about the market they are targeting.

I'd never presume about your experiences, so *please* don't presume about
ours.  AMG has never received any type of suggestion, concerning direction
or inclusions, from any outside source (including our publisher), and would
refuse to accept any given.  Our publisher accepts exactly what we give
them -- which of course means that any and all complaints about inclusions
or treatment can be laid at our feet.

> A few years ago I was asked by the editor
> of one of those books to compile a list of
> essential/important electronic artists,
> and either write their bios myself
> or find people who could help out.

Which "one of those books"??  Since I've been here six years, I'm safe in
assuming you meant "one of those types of books", not AMG specifically.

> I put a lot of work into narrowing down a list of
> 120 or so, but before I could see how many of
> those I could get good bios and discographies for,
> the editor insisted that I include only bands that had
> domestic releases that were currently in-print on CD.

Yikes, that *is* a horror story...sorry your experience was so negative --
obviously the guy was a hack who didn't know a thing about the scene.  AMG's
always been given complete freedom (and wouldn't accept less) to write
anything we want about everything we want.

Just clearing up what may have been a few mistaken assumptions...

John