I'll even say further that Pop Culture themselves has experience in organizing (or have been involved in) huge events and festivals in the past (i.e. as far as I know, the 'World Party' and the Jazz Festival) so that's the 'promoter' component there. As if Carl had previous experience in putting together a huge festival on his own. To be quite frank, it seems to me alot of 'buddies' were picked to play the last two years.
Flame, flame,

--G.

(Truth Be Told) wrote:

Why would it be necessary to have promoters? Don't they bring in their
favorites anyway or do they bring in big names for a big payday? If you look
at the first statement if the Free Press article: "A seven-member board of
longtime Detroit techno musicians will choose the artist lineup..." the
panel is there only to choose the talent they don't need to know how it
works (festival producer/promoter = Pop Culture Media). I would think that
traveling and developing relationships with other DJs/artists, they are more then qualified to choose a lineup. The fact there are 7 shows there will be
checks and balances where someone couldn't just bring in their buddies
(perhaps as before). Plus, most of them have been around almost 20 years and
know who was there from the start.
I'm hopeful too that they'll produce a good lineup and keep the spirit
alive.

Truth

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself...