From: Bill VanLoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313 <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] Ulrich Schnauss
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:02:00 -0500

on 2/21/02 10:53 PM, Mike Taylor at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have to be honest, this album just plain sucks.
>
> Yeah, is does have that CCO IDM hip-hop thing going, but where Arovane's
> Tides is uplifting yet still slightly menacing, Ulrich's stuff is just plain
> cheddar. Between the Schnauss record and a couple other releases, by
> confidence in CCO has been serious shaken. They were completely on point
> until the last year. CCO was my favorite label of 2000.

Complete disclosure: I have a 7" on City Centre Offices that came out at the
end of last year.

I thought Ulrich Schnauss's record was uplifting and beautiful. It has a
real sense of hope and joy about it, which is rare in these days and times.
Sure, it's a fine line between happy and cheesy for some people, but for my
money, it's on the good side of that line.

My biggest criticism is that it's a little obvious in a few spots (a drum
loop or two that I could have done without), but on the whole, i think it's
lovely.

> That being said, I still think Christian Kleine is one of the most important
> and unrecognized figures in German electronic music.

We can agree on that one. His guitar playing on "Tides" is great, as is much
of the rest of his work.

Hmm, not a lot of 313 relevance here, I suppose. Sorry.

BVL
--
http://www.chromedecay.org