Dan Sicko wrote:
> It was probably the audacity (or lack of originality) to make a
> similar track and even *name* it the same way that infuriated Dan ...

Yeah, but it's dirty laundry all the same.

I remember seeing an interview with (I think) Bootsy Collins, who remarked
that (at least it used to be) you couldn't sue someone over a drum pattern or
a bass line. Melodies and lyrics only. So if there's not much more to a track
than beats and bass, you put it out at your own risk. "That's not a song".
That is, outside of electronic music, the studio is still considered window
dressing. I just doubt there's much precedent in the law for what would be
considered engineering techniques, like the EQing of a vocal sample.

I don't see anyone complaining about Global Communication's "Maiden Voyage"
(8 07 and 5 23 on the 76 14 album; you know the one I'm talking about).

   - Mike