Remember this about Urb: it reflects to a large and admirable degree
the market it is in.  As of the 2000 census, there are 10 million people
in Los Angeles:

   31%  Caucasian non-Latino
   10%  African-American
   12%  Asian-American
   45%  Latino (white and other races)

Raymond Roker, the publisher of Urb, may have his limitations, but he
saw the future in LA and successfully developed Urb in that direction.
Thus it has become musically and culturally a far broader magazine than
almost anything else out there.

What magazine in Detroit can say the same?  I give some credit to
Metro Times, but even they fall short in my humble outsider view.
(so did my old long-forgotten paper, the Unicorn Times in DC, but let's
not bring up *archeology* shall we!)  What real coverage does MT really
give to the Arab-American community not to mention other groups and
areas outside central Detroit (it is "Metro" Times after all!).
But I used to work for a paper like that so I know what kind of monetary
limits they are dealing with.  All the same, vision is reflected in what
you put in print...

Of course, along those lines, to be sure, Raymond does have a weakness for
putting the Chemicals, Armand, Wink, etc. etc. on the covers.  I see him
as sort of the Jann Wenner of the 1990s in some ways (of course, Rolling
Stone ain't what it used to be, and neither is Urb).  You should *see*
Rolling Stone from circa 1969-70.  A real mindblower of a magazine.  As
was Urb in the early 1990s.