"But my question is where can techno go from here without becoming
purely experimental or instantly segmented?"

This could be seen very similarly to the crisis in art that precipitated
post-modernism.  The constant drive for something "new" meant that
ground was broken and quickly disregarded in an attempt to find
something new yet again.  Pretty quickly, all the ground was used up
with no where new to dig.  At that point, out of pure frustration with
being painted into a corner, artists began to look back at the areas
that had been discovered only to be abandoned with the breakneck demand
for "new".  They began to mine niches that they felt hadn't been fully
explored in an attempt to not necessarily create something entirely new,
but perhaps skew the way it was looked at and recontextualize it.

Another possible correlation would be between "high art" and "craft."
If you take techno as "tomorrow" music, is pretty much assumes that it
has to be "new" and that path is remarkably difficult to break.  I'm not
cynical enough to say everything has been done but I will say that as
time progresses it is increasingly difficult to do something "new."
Anyway, once the art world got into this corner, there was a massive
resurgence in "craft" IE pottery, textiles, and other "functional"
mediums.  You can sort view "craft" in line with the straight ahead
dance floor stuff that is pretty much functional...designed with the
goal to make the crowd move.  Meanwhile, the abstraction and exploration
of the "new" continues in another area and often, filters over to the
"craft" level.

On a totally different tangent but somewhat related (at least in my
feeble mind), I saw the documentary film "Dogtown and Z-Boys" and not
only was it visually really enjoyable, but I was really struck by the
parallels that could potentially be drawn between Detroit and Santa
Monica California where these skaters/surfers lived in.  What was
amazing to me is that the filmmaker could point to specific days when
the sport of skating changed forever with an individual's daily effort.
They specifically mentioned the day that a skater (Tony Alva if I recall
correctly) went over the lip of a pool and move skating into the realm
of vertical tricks.  This handful of skaters pretty much singularly
redefined what skateboarding is.  They did this in an urban environment
that was in shambles, and they infused their output with significant
influences around them (Latin low-rider culture, gang related graffiti
imagery, Hawaiian surf culture, etc) and in the process, created
something never seen before.  Sound familiar?  Sure sounds a bit like
the early roots of our music of choice on this list.  Anyway, I highly
recommend the movie...it left me feeling really good and bubbling with
excitement for possibilities.

Interesting questions Tristan, I doubt there are concrete answers for
them, but they are fun to speculate with.  Forgive me for wandering
around a bit, if you made it this far, perhaps some of Tristan's
questions were touched on and gives you more ideas to consider.

Leslie Rollins