On Saturday, June 15, 2002, at 10:32 AM, LR2 wrote:

On a totally different tangent but somewhat related (at least in my
feeble mind), I saw the documentary film "Dogtown and Z-Boys" and not
only was it visually really enjoyable, but I was really struck by the
parallels that could potentially be drawn between Detroit and Santa
Monica California where these skaters/surfers lived in.

I've sorta never wanted to draw this correlation, but i was a skater for about 15 years, most of it in detroit, and this whole thing had a lot of parallels for me. recording Wizard sets off of JLB and listening to them in the car on the way to some skate spot was a big part of my early adolescence. as was the majestic, 1515, 1315, shelter, packard, or many other places at night after a day of skating. there were plenty of times we were out there skating the curbs behind st. andrews, or across the street, waiting for the appropriate time to go in.

it was completely surreal to go to DEMF this year and see people jammed into the underground stage, dave clarke giving an absolute clinic, and to see so many people standing on those rectangular concrete benches that are covered in wax and wheel marks that we put there years ago.

ironically, not too long ago a good friend of mine said something about techno and skating that i thought was incredibly dead-on:

"if techno is following a path like the skate scene did
the hensley era just ended
switch isn't even on the radar
alva is still tough and powell is still a pretty boy
and no one has a clue what's going on - or next"

incidentally, i live in santa monica now.