----- Original Message -----
From: "LR2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Phonopsia'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'313'" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 1:32 PM
Subject: RE: [313] Is Techno in a Critical Moment?

> On a totally different tangent but somewhat related (at least in my
> feeble mind), I saw the documentary film "Dogtown and Z-Boys" and not
> only was it visually really enjoyable, but I was really struck by the
> parallels that could potentially be drawn between Detroit and Santa
> Monica California where these skaters/surfers lived in.  What was
> amazing to me is that the filmmaker could point to specific days when
> the sport of skating changed forever with an individual's daily effort.
> They specifically mentioned the day that a skater (Tony Alva if I recall
> correctly) went over the lip of a pool and move skating into the realm
> of vertical tricks.  This handful of skaters pretty much singularly
> redefined what skateboarding is.  They did this in an urban environment
> that was in shambles, and they infused their output with significant
> influences around them (Latin low-rider culture, gang related graffiti
> imagery, Hawaiian surf culture, etc) and in the process, created
> something never seen before.  Sound familiar?  Sure sounds a bit like
> the early roots of our music of choice on this list.  Anyway, I highly
> recommend the movie...it left me feeling really good and bubbling with
> excitement for possibilities.

I'm gonna have to go see this tonight! The parallels between skating and
techno (or at least DJing) are numerous. Look at the way the activities
started out so male-dominated. It was only a few years before more women
started DJing that more girls grabbed a deck. Both have devoted underground
readerships. Mixtapes/CDs can be seen as a parallel to skate videos. Both
are rather exclusive and elitist activities, etc. Both have cryptic myths
attached (Search for Animal Chin and Drexciya)??? Both became marketing
commodities for their "hip" factor, and both have been neetly repackaged to
sell to a mainstream audience. Perhaps I'm stretching things a bit, or you
could say this about most subcultures, but you get what I'm on about...

Oh, and the other comments on post-modernism make complete sense. Thanks for
the comparrison!

Tristan
http://www.mp313.com <- Music
http://www.metrotechno.net <- DC techno + more