I live in Iowa, and the best local DJs have always built sets from techno
AND house records.  Because of eastern Iowa's proximity to Chicago, house
music has been popular in the underground scene for 14 or 15 years -- there's
a continual two way traffic between Chicago and Iowa, people bringing records
home, people moving to Chicago, etc.

But it seems like the #1 criterion for playing a record is that it be a
great track that ignites the dancefloor, and not where it was produced.

The most interesting music being produced at any point defies easy
categorization -- there's loads of brilliant tech house being made right
now. Which is to say that it's minimal, not based on R&B, but has that
little swing&skip feel of house music.

Iowa City is also a place where it actually works to do a show with Hip Hop,
IDM, House, and Experimental music all on the same bill.  The biggest hip hop
heads in town love a good set of techno & house music, and the art students
out for a noise artists will even drop their ironic detachment for a minute
for a good DJ. It really is all music.

DEMF 2002 proved to me exhaustively that dance music monocultures are a drag.
As much as I like hard banging techno, I like it a hell of a lot more when
it's not all I hear for days ...