From: Robert Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Look at folk music - who gets credit/royalties for writing the
>melodies/lyrics?  No-one - everyone lifts tunes from everywhere
and no-one
>is bothered. It's just the precious jazz musos  and greedy fatcat
lawyers
>and popstars who get annoyed about it.

actually, a great number of jazz tunes are compiled in the "real"
book, or in a "fake book" which doesnt contain some of the tunes
in the "real" book and theyre all considered standards which many
musicians play. the idea of owning a sound is stupid. the idea of
caring makes no sense unless youre doing it for money. when i put
my first tunes up on the web in MP3, anyone who wants can sample
them, take them for free, whatever. making money from music like
that is ridiculous, IMO. getting paid for live gigs is cool, why
not go gig some more?

tom