Memo from Alex Bond of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

A.R.T and New Electronica were two completely different companies.

New Electronica just licensed some stuff from ART..................

"Tristan Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 29/08/2002 14:23:09
To:    "Cobert, Gwendal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "'313'"
       <313@hyperreal.org>
cc:

Subject:    Re: [313] IDM?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cobert, Gwendal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'313'" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 3:47 AM

> > interestingly enough, the music that spawned the term (such
> > as black dog's
> > "bytes" and aphex's polygon window) has a *very* detroit sound.
>
> Sure - these guys had a lot of love for the sounds coming from Detroit at
> that time. I think that even before the Artifical Intelligence series on
> Warp (2 comps + a series of LPs including some by Polygon Window,
Autechre,
> Black Dog, B12...), the thing that started it was the ART comps from Kirk
> Degiorgio's Applied Rhythmic Technology label ?

The ART series were released on New Electronica. I believe it was just the
name of the comp(s). The last one (or two) may have been on OpArt, which
New
Electronica sorta morphed into (again, peicing together memories, but I'm
pretty sure this is right). He also put out the 'Global Technological
Innovations' series, which also be classified as IDM. If I remember right,
first heard the term in '93, and I think everyone's right, that it was
inspired by WARP AI comps and took hold with the mailing list. Those WARP
AI
comps were seriously crucial in 'explaining' the link between Detroit and
british electro f*ckery - think Kenny Larkin on AI II, or Azemuth's US
release as an AI album (I think) - I know it was at least released through
WARP stateside (never seen the import to know if it was originally a WARP
release, although I'd assume it must be, unless R&S had it).

The other thing about this term is that it needs to be situated in a
historical context. At least stateside, it came out of an aversion to
'rave'
sounds, as things like 2 unlimited gained wider exposure. To this day, if
you say anything about 'techno' to the uninitiated it evokes images of
sporting events and jock jams. It became a tag to slap on your music that
differentiated it from the stuff you (maybe) used as a gateway to musical
enlightenment only a year or two earlier (lots of irony intended here).
Also
worth noting, when the term was coined, trance was firmly included in its
domain - think Rising High, particularly Casper Pound and Mixmaster Morris,
some trancier R&S releases like Sun Electric, and Oliver Lieb. To follow
through with this timeline, you could see the inclusion of trance in IDM
fade quickly from about '95-'96 as the genre codified into its current
form.
As someone else mentioned, I think things like intelligent drum 'n bass
were
included as well. It's a completely crap term used mostly as short-hand b/c
it basically meant 'music I like that isn't in an off-limits genre' and now
means 'weird sh*t that isn't obviously something else'. :)

Tristan
=====
Text/Mixes: http://phonopsia.tripod.com
Music: http://www.mp313.com
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
addressed. If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to
this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and
its associate partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London
WC2N 6RH where lists of the partners' names are available for
inspection. All partners in the associate partnerships are
authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all contracts
for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The
UK firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the
Financial Services Authority for investment business activities.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.

telecommunications systems. By replying to this e-mail you
give your consent to such monitoring.

Visit our website http://www.pwcglobal.com

computer.