Rant on Otto, you ain't lyin'. IMO most of 'our scene' especially the music has become a mostly '2 hype' trend.

The beauty of that is, just when 'they' think they have it all figurred and neatly compartmentalized, something truly poetic or original will emerge to challenge.

The truly amazing stuff usually arises from the ashes of something else...

2 sense

From: Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] another causality
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:39:38 +0200

>Still, I clearly don't know Hotmix et al's reasons.
>Maybe they just don't want to be part of the Spectacle

The main problem IMO is that 'their' sound has been adopted by people with relatively more marketing-skills than musical talent (unfortunately the two rarely go together). This makes the sound go into a direction they're not happy with.

That would've been fine in itself (after all, everyone is entitled to their own taste) as long as they're not getting drawn into that. But now everything vaguely related is quickly labeled electroclash, including the people who strongly feel that they don't belong there at all.

*That* is the real problem.

It is a problem in particular because once this fad is over, the original electro artists will have a much harder time getting their music out there because they'll be dismissed quite easily by the media and punters: 'that sound is sooooo passe, dahlin'...

Otto
PS This whole situation is nothing new BTW, the same thing happened when the harder Detroit techno sounds of Cybersonik, UR and Mills got mutated into gabba. Other examples are the UK hardcore - drum 'n bass split or when tech-house started to overlap with progressive house (like Circulation getting spun by Sasha and Digweed for instance). PPS Apologies to the LOW-subscribers who saw most of this rant in Dutch yesterday on the Lowlands-list already.