I actually see where you're coming from and I have debates like this with
friends often. I believe most people are contradictory, I know I am! I try
not to be, but... I can be vain and neurotic and impressionable yet I should
know better! You could be an underground producer articulating radical ideas
and still (secretly) love designer clothes and girls and cars! I forgive
that as I have the same impulses. Nelly is young and I think most young
people are especially contradictory. I always think how Malcolm X grew as a
man - where was he in his youth? I think the most contradictory rapper out
there after Tupac is Nas - one minute he's Nasty Nas, the ill MC, the next
Nas Escobar, a playa rapper, and part of The Firm. A lot of hip-hoppers
never forgave him for 'selling out' after Illmatic. Yet, correct me if I am
wrong, but he is the only mainstream MC to question the current US foreign
policy on his latest album. On his last album there was a song which sampled
Toto's Africa and spoke of the way in which some young Black men in the US
aspire to rock jewels that are mined in Africa by exploited Africans - it
was a very commercial R&B beat but the content was very conscious. Also,
unlike myself, Nelly has not had the opportunity to attend college and read
and learn and be exposed to a range of information and ideas in concentrated
form (most of my higher education was paid by the government too!), but I
feel he has the openness to learn and grow and he will. A lot of my friends
used to call Wyclef Jean a sell-out but I said, as a Haitian-American he has
broken through barriers by setting up companies and negotiating with
multi-nationals and using his success as a platform to share his cultural
experiences and address the prejudices experienced by Haitian Americans. So
for all the contradictions, there are some positives. It's hard for the
dispossessed and marginalised to relate to a post-capitalist mentality when
they have in fact never been a part of capitalism itself, so I think this is
a phase.
I guess the real fault lies with US radio - if it played Nelly, then
Jurassic 5, then UR, young people would be exposed to a range of ideas and
possibilities and it would break down stereotypes. Maybe Nelly's music per
se is not as inspirational as some others, but within the context of his
career, him coming from a broken home, and experiencing a lot of instability
in his early life to go on to build up companies, employ friends, there are
some positives.