Robert Taylor:

If they were stick to their principles, they wouldn't sell any of their
records to the big chainstores. But of course they do.

Submerge have no control over their records ending-up in chainstores. that's down to the distributor. they know their records are carried by HMV, Tower et al, and they can't do anything about that, but they still want ppl to support "Mom and Pop" stores in preference to the majors.

with regard to the licencing, personally i see no harm in it... without the success of Jaguar would Submerge have had their new building, would there be so many wicked new records coming out of their operation, would Submerge be able to support and nurture talented ppl who otherwise might not get a chance?

Submerge make a point of being true to themselves, being "underground" as we like to perceive it. in my eyes there's a difference between working within the confines of the industry in order to survive, develop, and grow, and working within the industry in order to buy yourself a penthouse in Monte Carlo.

maybe you don't see a distinction there... but i do.

rob