I shared a radio show with Morgan for a while at WOBC-FM, the Oberlin
College station, while Morgan was still an undergraduate there. This was
1995 or so.

Morgan mixed frequently, and I still have tapes. My guess is he'd
consider that blackmail material. I think they were decent enough.

Among the things Morgan was high on back then was DBX and DJ Funk, as I
remember it. Both styles often formed themes in the mixes. Basic channel
was frequently in the mix, too.

I recall trying to push Morgan to learn more about the Detroit things
(Aktkins, et al) that was making crazy then, even though I lacked the
deep knowledge so many of you bring to the table here on 313. He seemed
really into this tape I gave him, a collage of proto ghetto tech mixes
from WGPR-FM in '92. (DJ Fingers, mostly). We journeyed to Detroit
itself once or twice for parties.

It's possible I influenced his record buying habits very slightly
(although he influenced mine immensely more). In retrospect, I'd like to
think that I Made A Difference, however small. :)

Morgan was a young man of broad musical tastes, even then. One thing
that sticks out: He was really into bhangra. That seemed, well, *way out
there* to this child of Kid Rock Country (a region better known as
Downriver Detroit.)

John Kohlstrand
Rochester, N.Y. USA

P.S. Yeah, I know, Kid is actually from Macomb County or some place
north of Eight Mile. But they don't call it Taylortucky for nothing. Kid