----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Langsman, Marc"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 6:52 PM
Subject: RE: (313) Essential reading...

> I'm sure the only way you can learn how to mix is just do it yourself and
> keep trying but I'm sure it's entirely possible to learn some useful tips
on
> programming and "the business" by reading a few books about it - the more
> input you get  from as many people as possible the more chance you have of
> becoming a good DJ surely? What I don't like is reading books telling me
how
> to become  a "successful" DJ - I don't need to be told what music to play
> and how to get gigs in big clubs - surely most people DJ because it's fun,
> not because they envisage a career and a jetset lifestyle?

Yeah. That can be annoying, but that's what the primary audience for this
sort of stuff is looking for I expect. I'm sure there was tons of market
research behind this, and they prolly didn't write the book with the
aspiring [313] DJ in mind. ;)

Re: learning how to DJ from a book or whatever. I had my conceits about this
(being self-taught), until I became a DJing instructor and actually sat down
to teach people how to mix. I know that having a teacher was invaluable to
the students who practiced, and they almost universally progressed a lot
faster than people who teach themselves. Mostly, it's essential to work at
it and practice, with a teacher or not. But seeing how quickly some of our
students learned, I know that teaching can help DJ's get over the hump, to
the point where they can stand on their own two feet.

Teaching this stuff (or writing a book about it) shouldn't be about giving a
student a 'mix by numbers' approach (unless you mean Kraftwerk ;). It should
be about helping with specific universal techniques, explaining different
approaches to DJing, offering an honest, objective ear, and most importantly
being available to answer questions.

$.02.

Tristan
=====