Uh-uh, I inadvertently started this by posting that MTV story. I thought it
was interesting Moby is calling an end to Area 1/2 more as I saw it as a
possible economic/cultural indicator. Is it because 18 hasn't sold as well
as Play? Or because corporations are nervous of supporting such events in
the current economic climate? Or something to do with the clampdown on
'rave' culture in the US?

I think we've discussed Moby a lot in the past on 313 and it hasn't ever got
us anywhere - and, he he, I'm not his biggest fan. Anyway 18 didn't live up
to Play in terms of sales and ironically I think that Eminem diss was very
damaging indeed. This is probably less of a salient issue than it was in the
middle of the Play phenom. I think things are changing.

There is very, very innovative electronic music made by 'pop' black
musicians right now, it's just not called 'techno' as such, but it is
techno, if you know what I mean.

There's the Neptunes - NERD - and Chad Hugo knows his techno and house and
it's evidently an influence. Timbaland. And if Missy's Work It ain't a
techno/electro record, I don't know what is??
That new Snoop single From Tha Chuuuch To Da Palace has a techno feel.

I think Jeff Mills is very charismatic - and therefore marketable - within a
certain culture (I'm talking international, not just US market). I'm a
little biased but he is way more charismatic than most of the superstar DJs,
actually all the Detroit DJs have charisma.

Not to be mean, but John Digweed has no charisma at all and yet he is a big
name in the US dance culture!

Anyway, you can't always use record sales as a baromoter since not every one
who would go to - and enjoy - a Mills DJ gig would buy a record of his.....
I think this is something the wider music industry has yet to come to terms
with, other ways to measure success. How many people per year would hear
Mills DJ?

Not sure if any of that made sense.