On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Dan Sicko wrote:

> Curators were both from the Museum, and yes, the space was allotted
> over a year ago I believe.
>
> Don't know what the budget was, but things turned out about how I
> expected -- they did a *good* job.
>
> -d

I wrote about the idea of a travelling techno exhibit after the demf of
2001 i think.  one of the exhibits that influenced me was the missouri
historical society's miles davis exhibit.  synthesized personal tidbits
with his art with his music.  each visitor upon entering the exhibit was
given an mp3 player and at each station the visitor was "told" to play a
certain track.  the tracks would either be davis' music, a commentary from
people close to davis and davis himself, or a mixture of both.

there were also a couple of listening spaces devoted solely to davis'
music through the years.

I liked the exhibit a great deal, and I thought the model could be easily
ported over to techno.  Only problem was that it lacked a sense of
movement.  Even though jazz has been fossilized to a certain extent,
this is important.

The techno exhibit in my head contained flyers from high school parties
(comrades, weekends, etc.) it contained old drum machines and
synthesizers, but most of all it contained MUSIC.  Old 98 mix tapes from
the wizard, gary chandler, and others.  Deep Space Radio. Interviews with
various people involved with the scene.  Maybe even speeches from
futurists like Alvin Toffler in the background.

I'd like to check it out for myself...don't know if I'll get back in time.