According to the article the currently named DEMF Inc. is planning on doing
a "DEMF tour". Isn't the whole point of the festival to GO TO Detroit for
the music?
I can see wanting to bring it to the people but why do that? Everyone will
just wait for it to come to their town and never experience Detroit City.
What good is that?!

  "DEMF Inc. also plans to launch a weekly radio program entitled "The
  DEMF: Detroit Electronic Music Frequency" to carry the message of Detroit
  and the electronic culture to a greater audience. DEMF Inc. is also
  planning to launch a quarterly publication, DEMF Tour, television
  broadcasts and recordings to further promote the achievement of the
  event, the city and the best of today's electronic music and
  entertainment scene."

  "Marvin agreed. "We have never been limited in our vision of the DEMF by
  its location or just one weekend in this city," says Marvin. "It has
  always been our goal to take what we've invested in and produced and to
  incorporate its creative energy into our city on a daily basis in support
  of the community we serve."

So taking the festival OUT of the city will support Detroit how?? It might
make the music more visible but it won't draw people into the city itself.
Won't bring any money into other sectors of the city - hotels, restaurants,
car rentals, museums, theatres, tax revenues, record shops, airport,
parking garages, etc.
Why go to Detroit to hear the music when I can go to Chicago when the tour
stops there, or catch the show in L.A./Houston/Miami/etc.?

The music is part of the city and the city is part of the music -

MEK

                      "Mark S. Krüx"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           To:       "Cyborg K"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "313" <313@hyperreal.org>, "Carissa
                                                Tintinalli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                      01/27/03 08:14 PM        cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: (313) more demf
stuff...

Hmmmm I may've been off base on this trademark thing.  I've done a little
poking around on the net and while it seems that Derrick has
http://www.demf.com locked down,  I can't find any reference to him owning
the trademark.

I did find this article,  but it reads like a whole lotta PR spin to me:

http://www.combattkd.com/news42.htm
DEMF Founder Carol Marvin and World Boxing Legend Thomas 'The Hitman'
Hearns
Form DEMF Inc.

I have a feeling this is going to be settled in court.

*sigh*

m*