But,
Does Derrick have the right to claim the trademark DEMF? I mean I know we all
wish he can, or atleast anyone but Marvin, but if the DEMF was based on the
work commercially done by Marvin's Pop Culture, and then someone else comes
in and scoops the name up, from what I know about law, Derrick shouldn't be
able to obtain the rights. I mean this is a city sponsored event by the Dept.
of Recreation. Not a private venture. I believe the city of Detroit has the
first priority to the name they sponsored, and they invested in.  I mean for
example, if I operate a Pizzeria in Detroit named Big Dave's, but don't make
any appropriate claim to the name, yet my reputation is built on it, then an
unknown Big Dave's pizza trademarks the name, and tries to work off the
success of the first Big Dave's pizza, from what I believe the First Big
Dave, can sue the 2nd Big Dave for the rights to the name. and usually that
party wins. I want an Electronic Music Festival in Detroit. I want anyone but
the Marvin team to promote it, but as far as name ownership, I believe the
city has first dibs, and the Pop Culture has 2nd's if the city doesn't want
it.
Any business lawyers out there?
Steve