Strangely enough I have been doing precisely this when I spin... I can't rememer the last time I spun a pure house or techno or tech-house or whatever set without throwing in at least a couple odd records - whether new wave, disco, funk, soul or even as some people have mentioned early "rave" classics like "James Brown is Dead" or "O Fortuna" even. The response I get tends to be pretty good but then again I am not playing at huge super clubs but at tiny little crappy bars where the people are into the music and not there for any other reason.

I find that this keeps me interested in what I am doing and tends to keep the crowd a bit on their toes if they don't know whether to expect a techno record or Blondie next.

Anyway I think I have started to do this in response to the mediocrity and same-ness of techno, tech-house, etc records that seem to have swamped the market over the past several years.

Just my $0.02.