The way I see it life is too short to be a collector.
So you buy a piece of 'rare' vinyl catalog #001, put it in a
plastic sleeve and store it away with numerous other crates
of vinyl that's taking up space, 30-50 years from now the
value of everything you've collected will be irrelevant
because you'll be dead.
When I buy a record it's usually something I'll listen to more
than once or something I can use for a DJ set.