You have some good points, and I don't entirely disagree.  I might want to
talk about this more with you off-list.  A couple points off the top of my
head, however, that still seem somewhat relevant:

1.  I don't mean to say that techno's basic rhythm is innovative, however, I
find what has been done with it, in terms of form, to be at least somewhat
innovative.  All though one might find some simiarities with non-western
traditional musics, performances within such musics would be limited to the
whataver timbres and techniques were characteristic of the local tribe.
Moreover, the basic rhythms would be underlaid with mythological and ritual
significance specific to the group.  Techno, on the other hand, is really a
global phenomenon, and while it utilizes the primal underlying rhythm it
allows for an almost surrealist collage of a multitude of tonalities and
musics over this basic rhythm.  It is almost a "meta-music" in that sense.
It the moments of intense collage over the basic beat that I've always found
rather fascinating, and so far I haven't found any more abstract music that
was able to deal with this collage effect in such an interesting way (off
hand, John Cage and Anthony Braxton both spring to mind as artists dealing
with collaging fragments of music.)

2.  In terms of texture and timbre, techno has been quite successful in
exploring new ground, perhaps as successful as any Euro-moderns in terms of
developing music on the basic of pure textures, which is the way a lot of
post-classical European music was moving towards any way.  If you ignore the
"motor rhythms" which surely would offend many experimental music advocates,
what you are left with is simply an open form made up of large fields filled
with variable sounds and textures.  In this sense techno isn't necessarily
primitive at all, although one must concede that since it is tied to
repetitive rhythms its innovations remain ambiguous.

3.  I should be more clear, when I talk about "regression" in reference to
song structure, I don't mean it in terms of a one-way street leading from
cave men to rockets.  I am really talking about the music's socio-political
significance (granting that my view is rather subjective) in terms of
possibilities for human evolution.  The song structure, as I see it, cannot
be understood within our given historical situation outside of an
understanding of the entire system of pop music, MTV, record labels, stars,
and hyper-capitalism.  The song structure, on its own, in my opinion
reinforces the norms of this society and orients individuals more towards
being subjugated consumers than active subjects.  The primary mechanism in
this is probably the set of lyrics which the listener is supposed to
"identify" with, and the star themselves.  But it seems to me that the basic
form of the pop song itself is designed to reinforce a whole set of negative
reactions.  I find it quite unpleasant, for example, when a TV commercial
comes on and hours later I hear in my head a voice singing "she wore an itty
bitty teeny weeny..." etc.  That really is an attempt at mind control.  So
it seems to me that there is something inherently negative in the song
structure, at least in OUR current historical period (not necessarily
universally or for all time!)  I suppose there our ways to write songs that
at the same time subvert and rip apart the song structure, perhaps the Sex
Pistols succeeded for a moment, but these efforts are always getting
reabsorbed back into the commodity culture.  Techno itself of course, runs
up against the very same barriers since a record is, after all, just another
commodity.

4.  While techno has many problems of its own, in the anonymous nature of
many productions, and the collective nature of a DJ performance, I do find
something that seems novel and offers possibilities that could be build upon
and expanded upon by humans in the future.  The possibility of an art that
is not only for the FEW but can allow participation by many certainly
intrigues me, especially since it seems possible on the global level.  (ON
THE OTHER HAND, could there be a danger, forms of techno-fascism that use
techno as the basis of a sinister rather than utopian collectivism?)

5.  More generally, techno allows for a posing of questions about the
limits, uses, and meaning of technology for humans in a world that is
increasingly over-run by machines.  Is the machine our saviour, or will it
destroy us?  These questions MATTER in the world we live in, and techno
gives us one possible form for exploring them.  In such a context, it seems
that song forms, melodies, and lyrics, aren't very relevant.  Perhaps the
sinister nature of a great deal of techno, the lack of "soul" is a very
necessary response to a dehumanized world where machines seem to be in
control.  At the same time, the concept of "techno-soul" would point to some
kind of reconciliation between man and machine...  But is such an image of
reconciliation premature, when the world at large seems poised on the brink
of catastrophe?

6.  I don't think about these questions as an acedemic (I dropped out) but
as someone who sincerely wants to understand the world around me, as I am
stuck living here and making art here and I'd like my life to count for
something.  The question of progress in terms of my life and the world
around me is not academic, it is a question of whether we we nuke ourselves
and all the other living beings on the planet, or create a world where
people no longer need to fear starvation or a nuclear war.  I do think that,
before anything, music is something to LISTEN to and not primarily to
discuss, but music is also a part of culture, and culture has the power to
bring people together and unite them which has implications that go far
beyond music.  Music also can reveal much about the values and goals of the
society where it originates.  But can music actually be a positive force in
the world, who knows in the end?

.dave