----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew MacQueen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Odeluga, Ken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "[EMAIL PROTECTED] org [The
Music Institute] (E-mail)" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 3:00 AM
Subject: RE: (313) electro house is taking over (maybe not just in OZ)

> If you don't like the tight production values that you can hear in MA (not
raw enough) all I can say is Morgan's productions have *always* had that
sharpness and precision, even on his old Metamorphic and Environ and Clear
records, when it was more techno than house.  His production values have
been consistently high throughout, and his ear for melody as well I think
few have it quite like that.

Ken, I was thinking this too. His solo stuff is definitely a lot grittier in
a Curtin/P.O.F.F. kinda way (or at least that's akin to one of his many
voices).

> There is plenty of raw house stuff out there too, it's just that (in my
experience) there's not a lot of it that shows the same kind of quality you
hear with Metro Area.  I am of course a huge fan of chicago jackin' trax,
love em!!!  but for me there's not a lot of raw or really unique house
coming out (of chicago right now anyway) that was the way it used to be.
New generations of producers aren't as constrained as the founders were, and
you get a lot of stuff made on computers and not a lot of 2nd and 3rd
generation house producers are selling their iMacs for RZ-1's, etc.  ;)

People have been claiming this'll be the next big revival for a while now
though. I haven't seen much evidence of that, but It does seem logical, as
these things go. Have either of you dirty-house boys heard the Chicken Lips
Trax Dub of Headman's 'It Rough'? Sounds circa '86, released '02. I've heard
Gene Farris and Joakim drop it at high volume so far. Both times it sounded
soooo big (but dirty, errr rough ;).

Ken, if you want something really dirty (like so poorly recorded it's hard
to mix), track down the Pepe Bradock remix of the Gotan Project (seems to be
very hard to find already though). It's got a mid-range acid line and an
almost non-kick, so it's basically all-mids. If it isn't dirty enough for
ya, I don't know what would be. Or maybe the accordian will throw you off.
;) In general, I don't see how you could go wrong with Monsieur Peepz. His
remix of Incognito even says something like "recorded in a noisy Parisian
apartment" (although ironically, that's probably the cleanest thing he's
done)...

Gotta say I'm not really seeing a cleanliness trend in house myself, or
maybe I'm misunderstanding what is menat by 'clean' and 'polite'??? I would
argue overall production value has been steadily climbing forever, but I
don't see that as the same thing, or bad.

Tristan
=======
Text/Mixes: http://www.phonopsia.co.uk
Music: http://www.mp313.com