From: Cyclone Wehner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 3:16 PM
To: 313 Detroit
Subject: Re: (313) electro house is taking over (maybe not just in OZ)

I think it's just a more succinct way of saying 'house music with electro'
influence'.
Labels are useful as tools - eg in rec stores - but I think the underground
takes them more seriously. It doesn't change the way they sound.
Metro Area rock.

----------
>From: Kent williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: 313 list <313@hyperreal.org>
>Subject: RE: (313) electro house is taking over (maybe not just in OZ)
>Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 1:41 AM
>

> I don't read those magazines, but sometimes i write for them.
> The idea of 'electro house' does seem a bit of an oxymoron to me, since
> my concept of different genres is rooted in the characteristic beat
patterns
> they use.
>
> House music almost invariably employs a kick on the beat (i.e. 1 2 3 4)
> and a 'backbeat' sound, usually but not always a clap (i.e. 2 4) Around
> this armiture all sorts of syncopation is possible, but that boom chick
> boom chick between 115 and 130 BPM is what makes it instantly
recognizable.

> Electro, by contrast has the backbeat on 2 and 4, but generally has a
> syncopated, prominent kick.  House will drop the backbeat on occasion, but
> Electro generally maintains the backbeat from beginning to end.
>
> So Electro house would be ... what? Maybe this seems flippant, but
> discriminating between genres is a continuing vexation for me.  I'm still
> trying to figure out what hard house is, but I have a hard time dissecting
> it taxonomically because any time I hear a mix represented to me as hard
> house I rarely last more than 5 minutes before I run screaming.
>
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Alex Bates wrote:
>> mate i dont read those magazines, in fact i dont read any music
>> mags/websites. i never heard the label 'electro house' until i made it up
30
>> mins ago.
>>
>> damn people like you for getting upset that people use terms to describe
>> certain style of music! :)

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---