On Mon, 5 May 2003, Darren Longton (Marketing) wrote:

> >I think what Kent is referring to is the mass support that hiphop receives
> >on the radio, on tours, on television, and the like.
>
> I agree these could do wonders...but with the good, comes the bad,
> that's all.  Some recognition WOULD be nice.  Minus the exploitation.

That's right...though I read SOMEWHERE (maybe Norman Kelley's RHythm and
Business?  maybe Salon?) that independent labels are more apt to exploit
because their artists aren't part of the union.  Too many stories about
beats getting jacked and folks not getting credit for us to valorize
"being underground" TOO much.

> ...but we obviously have WAY too much time on our hands..after
> all...it's Monday morning!  haha

...and in my case I can easily grade black nationalism papers and read
email.  I've got the best job in the WORLD!  :)

lks