Oh god where to start, pretty subjective:

--Sign O' The Times 2xLP- probably all around best display of talent, he
plays every instrument on every song 'cept for one live track done w/
The Revolution... amazing.  I like this review too
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS70305141450&sql=A31820r
8ac489

--Dirty Mind (1980!) - Synth work on here and all around funkiness is
electrifying

I like 1999 a lot too.... - Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)

--Purple Rain - a masterpiece in it's own right
--Around the World in a Day - more conceptual, still great songs, deeper
and less pop polish in some ways, though still had some hit singles too.
I've always had a soft spot for "Pop Life"

There are some cool songs on "Prince" LP and "For You", both completed
in late 70's. but don't start there unless you get to be a real fan  ;)

peace,
Matt MacQueen