>BTW - Totally agree about Herbie... not trying to take anything away
>from him. But as a proponent of future music (esp. of the detroit
>flavor) I can't just sit back and say "well that sound has been done
>better 30 years ago by someone else so why bother."  I want people to
>keep pushing, I want to hear someone who'll in 30 more years have blown
>Herbie away... hey I know it's far fetched but you know what I mean.
>Once you have the Herbie moments on vinyl you need, there's plenty of
>places and trajectories he's launched forward... I want to seek out
>where those seeds landed and who is taking it forward... on the
>electronic tip especially.  Ayro seems promising...

Talking of Herbie - did anyone in the UK see the 'South Bank Show' last
Sunday?
They did a special on him. Loads of wicked old footage of him in the
70's/80's.
Lots of interesting insights too.

I've got a few Herbie H LP's and 12's. Although I tend to find myself
liking the LP's that he did that weren't necessarily trad jazz lps. He said
in the documentary that every so often he does a project thats 'now' and
deliberately goes out to make an LP with a particular sound as opposed to
something he might do that he feels is him. I think the Sunlight LP (which
I really like) was his take on disco etc etc, and then other LP's for diff.
genres e.g. Headhunters for funk etc. I also like the LP with Magic Number
on - something windows its called.

I dunno, I know nothing about jazz. I have a few Miles Davis LPs, some
Pharoh Sanders stuff and that, but I've never been able to find much more
stuff that I'm really enthusistic about (mainly because I don't even know
what to look for). 'In a Silent way' is something I like...

Maybe JT can recommend some stuff for us for the list? or anyone else? top
5 jazz lp's to find that we might like??
would be interested to know.....

Alex

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems. By replying to this e-mail you
give your consent to such monitoring