In Germany, I'm pretty much asked to play harder once per gig.
I used to get really frustrated with this. I thought it patently evident that I'm NOT a DJ, and that I'm doing my own music. But I've since realized that the average clubgoer (at least in Germany - I can't speak for the rest of the world) has absolutely no idea about the mechanics/logistics of what's happening on stage. In fact, they're not even there to see me at all. They're there to dance. Period. I'm simply the dance catalyst. And it's perfectly within their right to demand changes if I'm not creating the environment they were expecting. I get it now, but when I first started I was coming from a world of musician/performer - listener/audience. The game is entirely different.

--
Dennis DeSantis
www.dennisdesantis.com