What's wrong with minimal techno?
What kind of "damage" has it done?
~Dave

---------- Original Message -------------
Subject: (313) The Techno Wheel
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:50:10 +0000
From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Shake said to me last week that the only people interested in history are
historians, I disagree :)

The amount of times we've played out at clubs and people have asked me "what
kind of dance music is this?" or "is this classed as techno?".

I do know what you mean about putting things in a box but this is how the
kids of today understand things and they are the ones who are going to be
buying the tunes, the least we could do is give them a clue and keep it
interesting. Lets give them a box of cool stuff to download/read and if
breaking it into waves or years makes it easier then I'm all for it.

How cool would it be to have a disk like the one Greg Wilson sent you with
all the mixes and interviews on about electro-funk :) Man, you'd be tooled
up to win any argument with that kind of info....

Last week in the studio, two of the DUST DJ's accused me of wanting to
reinvent the techno wheel, why? Well I was doing things that they considered
to be outside of what is deemed "techno" (one example would be a long snare
roll), for me this music has always been about innovation, ideas, great art
work, propaganda and the third record not about block building in Cubase or
Logic, I think Tom MagicFeet wrote an article about all this and about the
damage done my minimal techno - my point being 99% of the public think they
know what techno is, the truth is only 1% of what they know is true and that
would be the 4 to the floor side of it...we have no one but ourselves to
blame...

md