>From Tom's review of Dan's book...

"Moreover, there¹s little discussion of techno¹s bastard offspring, such as
gabber and trance. Yet if this book has a single overriding fault, it is
that too often Sicko fails to make connections or carry his themes through
boldly enough.

He rightly describes minimalism¹s original impetus as an attempt to find the
lost funk in techno, but fails to point out that the hordes of minimal loop
records that followed have been techno¹s undoing and are probably
responsible for any current difficulties. He identifies commercially
successful groups like 808 State, The Prodigy and Underworld but fails to
underline that their success came only by adopting the kind of rock¹n¹roll
trappings many of the music¹s originators were trying to get away from in
the first place. And while he discusses genres like drum¹n¹bass, ambient and
post-rock, he cannot pin down their relationship with techno.

All the same, these are just personal observations, probably the kind of
thing Sicko intended to generate in the first place. With such a vast
subject, generalisations or omissions are inevitable and everybody with an
interest in the subject is bound to find something here to take issue with -
if the music didn¹t inspire debate and strong feelings it probably wouldn¹t
be worth listening to anyway. What¹s more, as I¹ve already pointed out,
ŒTechno Rebels¹ is not meant to be an encyclopaedia or a definitive history,
simply because such a work could probably never be completed...

md

25/7/03 2:55 PM David [EMAIL PROTECTED]