I think most musicologists would argue the opposite Ken - those string
lines aren't generic, because they are recognizable parts of another song -
the 80s track - and they do not depend on context for distinctiveness -
because you can recognize those strings when they are used in another song
(Knights of the Jaguar) and ID them as being used in a "source" song (the
80s track - what is the title of it by the way?).

If this wasn't the case I could lift the bassline from Michael Jackson's
"Billy Jean" and get away with it AND nobody would know where the bassline
is from. Which I highly doubt.

Just like you can ID the "pump up the volume" vocal as being used in
M/A/R/R/S and sourced from Eric B. & Rakim

To me it sounds like he cleaned up the sample plus gave it a tempo
adjustment or played it note for note (but it's so close it sounds like a
sample)  - it's quite obvious a lift from that tune.
And we were all able to ID right away - nobody has said - "gee that sounds
like the strings used in Strings of Life" - no we all said Knights of the
Jaguar so it's not generic at all.

It's a prosecuting copyright lawyer's wish come true

"The legal test is whether a sample is recognizable. It is not true that
you are allowed to use up to 4 bars or 10 seconds or any part of another
song."

MEK

                      Kent williams

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:       313 list
<313@hyperreal.org>
                                               cc:

                      08/04/03 01:08 PM        Subject:  Re: (313) "Jaguar"
Strings on 80s House record?

It also is note for note the same as the beginning couple of bars of the
strings in Jaguar ... just interesting to compare.

My friend who found that thought that Rolando was copying; I argued that
the string line on both are fairly generic and depend on the context for
any distinctiveness.