Maybe listen to the first Propaganda album. I think that album pre-empted a
lot of sounds of today - from industrial to Detroit - and the sleeve notes
remind me of Axis' liner notes!
I guess the whole fantasy element of the Blitz Kids fed into the
imaginations of Motor City's youth.
There is a book called The Book With No Name which is worth seeking. I
recently found a copy second-hand, after not seeing it for a decade. It was
the New Romantic bible.
It was such a radical thing to hear songs like Vienna or Fade To Grey and
Controversy (as a kid Prince *was* New Romantic to me, and let's not forget
Sheila E's get-up for Romance 1600) in the charts as a kid, it was so
refreshing after all that dull rock - Australia is a country where
pub-rock/MOR country rules, after all. I mean how did Japan chart in the UK
with Ghosts? Such an abstract record!
The videos were so powerful.
With Duran Duran, you really have to listen to the album material. It's
purely elitism in the rock media that deems them of less critical value than
Depeche. I didn't mind Depeche, I just wasn't as gripped by them as I was by
Duran, Visage, etc. That's not a value judgment, just personal.
Not so sure of Vince Clarke's recent work - like that Erasure covers album,
ahem.
The story of Duran's roots in industrial Birmingham, their associations with
the New Romantic club Rumrunner, the Andy Warhol thing, it was all great
stuff!