i've been thinking about this and for me it's the classic walkman and old
copied tape combination because you can take music with you to amazing
places, when you get that corresspondence between what you are listening to
and the space that you're in which takes the two and creates some powerful
feeling in your soul.  i was spending a week in a village on an island in a
lake in siberia while studying in russia and had a c90 - one side of satie
piano pieces and the other with early finnish idm - absolutely amazing
combination :)  tho this thought made me think of another time when the
space that I was in seemed to change because of the music - seeing DJ Rush
for the first time at the Scala - I'd never heard anything like it before
and for a moment in the middle of it all the sounds seemed to echo around
and there was a klanging sort of noise just like on a building site and I
suddenly realised that techno is everywhere in the city with the klanging of
people and life making this random techno noise - the complete opposite of
the total calm back on that island.

anyway maybe I've been reading too much proust, but there's definitley an
interesting power to be found within music and spaces.
.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]