I was thinking along that lines too, but in this case apple and their itunes
music store are still a middle man in as much as a record label or
distributor is a middle man. the artist who sells their wares through iTMS
still only recieves a cut of the .99 cents per track just as they only
receive a cut of the selling price regradless if its wholesale or retail
from a 'hard copy' release. I would guess that the day isnt too far off when
you see artists/labels selling their output direct to consumers online using
a similar business plan, especially given the advent of technologies like
final scratch. yes, there is somethng to be said for a slab of vinyl but the
overheads and prfofit margins for establishing and operating a
direct-dowload label would have to be better than for a traditional label I
would think, even if only slightly, which still puts more money in the
pocket of the artist/label owner.

personally, I know I much prefer being able to listen to the tracks on line
from a 12" or LP and purchase only the ones I want at a buck a pop (see the
poker flat web site) vice dropping $10 - $20 bucks for the actual release in
a retail outlet for the other tracks I didn¹t want