Break even on selling records? What a weird concept! I have to say that if a
situation comes about where the techno audience grows, leading to a) a downside
where there's a perhaps rather more naive bunch of people into techno than
there used to be, and b) an upside whereby a lot of techno labels and nights
actually start making money, the upside would more than compensate for the
downside as far as I'm concerned.

When the disco craze came to an end, the culture basically died - but the music
didn't, and it wasn't long before it morphed into house and changed the world.
This, as Fred Heutte pointed out in his very perceptive mail on Saturday, is a
similar stage of the cultural cycle, except that at the moment the "culture"
that's dying is the club culture of the 1990s. Techno music was around before
that culture, and will be around afterwards - hence the reason why Tong et al
seem to be making that move back towards the underground.

The danger for techno, though, is that association with these icons of the
monolithic club scene will cause it to suffer more from the collapse of that
culture than it necessarily should. I mean, do "the kids" *really* listen to
Pete Tong any more anyway? Don't they see him as moribund and old hat? Will it
really benefit techno to be involved with that clique of DJs; or will it make
"the kids" associate it with these dinosaurs of clubland, and see it as just
another dying dance genre?

By the time disco music re-emerged in the mid-1980s (as house) it had a very
different sound (superficially, at least), a different set of production
ethics, a different name, a different type of associated lifestyle, everything.
Sometimes I wonder if techno might need to go through a similar cocoon phase
before re-emerging as something that, to the uninitiated, seems hugely
different from its original incarnation? If that's the case, then Tongy & co
aren't the answer, and techno needs to "go underground" for another few years
so we can all get our heads together in darkened basements and come up with
something new to hit the world with. If that's *not* the case, and there's
further for the techno scene to go in its current form, then Tongy and the like
getting interested can only be good news. But it's a complex issue, and no-one
can really predict how it's going to turn out...

Brendan