... in addition to the fact that the average person isn't
quite sure if they consider downloading easily replicated
data off the network to be stealing.  at that point, its an
issue of simple economics.  if you dont feel that you're
stealing, or that what you're downloading should even be
sold in the first place, most people will save their money
and download the tracks.

(i tend to believe, as a producer, that all music, as a
form of art, should be free and that no one should make a
living as a musician)

as computers get cheaper and more powerful, along with the
advances in audio software, the average joe (ha) can afford
to create pieces of audio that rival those produced with
"professional" studio gear over the past 30 years.  I
foresee a world when most people will make music, there
will be too much good music to support a solid market, and
that music will move back to the realms of hobby, ceasing
to exist as the lifeless business model its been relegated
to in the past 50-60 years.

...that genres will become decentralized, and the music
will move at the behest of the collective, not the azsholes
at mtv who decide what can be marketed this year, then
whore it out for every penny they can get.

hope this makes some sense, Im busy at work and
flash-ranting :)

-Joe

I read my post again - I should clarify. High unemployment
rates were said
to be the cause of increased home taping of music - not
home taping causing
layoffs in the music industry.

Still, I feel the situation is similar to today. We have
high unemployment
so less money to spend on product. Therefore people look
for inexpensive
ways to acquire music - home taping/mp3s.

MEK

                      Ken Odeluga

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                               cc:
      313@hyperreal.org

                      11/03/03 10:28 AM        Subject:
 Re: (313) downloading, peer-to-peer, etc

> Then later, the author cited again [some time in the
80's] the
> increase of
> tape sales and decrease of album sales blaming high
unemployment rates.
> Sound familiar?
>
> MEK

It does! Perhaps a big thing which we often overlook in
this whole
issue is: the sheer *resilience* of the music industry!  I
mean, its
death knell has been sounded many times.
(And I am talking about actual music media here, records,
tapes, cds
etc.) And many times it has adapted and survived. Free
electronic
acquisition by consumers, though, is going to take some
coming back
from! I personally do think the survival of the majors
(speaking
neutrally, leaving out for now the question of whether I
want them to
survive or not ;-) is going to be a case of
'if-you-can't-beat-'em,
join-'em' rather than 'destroy-them-my-robots'. Although
they'll try
that, and I feel they'll fail.

Ken