On Jan 8, 2004, at 10:10 AM, robin wrote:

so here's a question. once you get used to mixing with decent eqs (where
they will properly cut) do you find it hard to go back to mixing with
just a bog standard no-eq mixer?

i know i do (my style is a lot simpler and more choppy with no eq), i
just wondered if everyone else does.

Definitely. There are a few big clubs around here with old-style rotary club mixers (Rane or Urei) where you're lucky if there's a master EQ...definitely no per-channel. Hate it...I can barely mix on those things, never mind anything like cuts.

But I'm not much of a cutter anyway, to get back to the original question. I tend to go for long, smooth mixes. EQ the bass a lot to smooth out the mix...sometimes cut the treble slightly on the incoming if both of the tracks have a lot of high freqs. I enjoy the type of techno DJ that can roll through 30+ tracks in an hour, but I've never been that way myself. I tend to ride the mixes too long to blast through records like that. Not to mention that I'm totally indecisive about what to play next a lot of the time, so I end up waiting until the last minute to mix the next track in.
--
Tim Moore