Similar to when you make a copy of a cassette to a second cassette, then that second to a third cassette. The quality has diminished. I don't know the technical term for it.

If you say those older records are full on the bass, it leads me to believe that problems were not that they were of low quality when originally pressed, but they have diminished over time and maltreated bootleg pressings.

I was able to compare my copy of "As time goes by" with the pressing on the 'bootleg' version of the equinox LP. Its easy to hear a difference. Unless planet e re-mastered that song, the Equinox pressing diminished the quality. As Tom was saying; you take a few older pieces of music, press 15 minutes worth of music on one side of a record, then an ill-legit, low quality bootleg of that weaker pressing is made... explains why i was unhappy with this LP

Thanks for helping me with query everyone.

-j