on 5/6/04 5:38 AM, Martin Dust at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Does anyone know what happens to the rights of defunct record lables like
>> Buzz? Could Carl bootleg his own release?
>
> Carl still owns the rights, Buzz just licensed tracks...
>

> Martin

exactly. Carl would not have to bootleg his own compilation. all licensing
contracts state how long the licensing agreement will be in effect and what
territories they cover. if you have your own label its best to maintain the
rights to press in your own territory. in most cases the agreements are in
effect for 60 months (five years) with the licensors rights and claims to
the recordings expiring after that time. I've even seen some contracts for
as little as 6 months :^)
after the agreed upon time the artist/owner (licensee) is free to do with
the master recordings what he or she wants in all territories (re-release,
remix, re-license to someone else, bury in a landfill in Arizona).
there are many other legal stipulations to licensing but I only mean to
address why there is no need for Carl to bootleg this compilation.

sean deason: contract killer