There's no mention of the sample on the sleeve notes, and my guess is that most techno/house samples are not cleared. I'm not sure why but I think that they just don't come under the same scrutiny as hip hop - possibly because hip hop is a much higher turnover industry, hence providing a financial justification for getting the lawyers on the case.

Funny really though because house/techno is just as sample reliant as hip hop in many ways, I suppose it's just more disguised in many cases. I seem to remember a recent thread talking about samples used by Mills. This surprised me, I assumed that all his stuff was built up from sine waves or what have you.

Some samples are massively plundered e.g. Rare Pleasure - 'Let Me Down Easy', or Isaac Hayes 'I Can't Turn Around' spring to mind...

At 10:23 am +0100 19/5/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 >Do you happen to know if he got legal clearance for the Steve Reich
sample?

Just out of interest. Do you think anyone in techno pays for their samples?
I admit, there's a huge difference between, for example, Dave Clarke and
say, Jochem who just said he earnt 86 euro's from his last record.

But, really, is it worth it?

Clever sample heads disguise their samples too well anyway.

; )

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems. By replying to this e-mail you
give your consent to such monitoring