Well, I actually do build my own filter boxes (2 types) and Ring Modulators.
I've even sold many of them to name dj's/techno producers.

I also put together the MOTM kits which I've built a rack of.  However,
building is much easier than designing and building in hardware.

Building stuff in Max/Reaktor/Nord Modular is even easier... ; )

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist